Unsure of 'numbers', govt deliberately wrecking proceedings in Rajya Sabha: BJP
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
BJP today accused the government of allowing disruption of the Rajya Sabha proceedings as it is "unsure of its figures" in the House.
"Government is unsure of its figures in the Upper House. Both the government and its allies including those outside supporters are disrupting the House everyday," BJP leader Arun Jaitley told reporters outside Parliament.
Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day today after disruptions over quota in promotion for SC/ST in government.
"No Opposition members are disrupting the House. Nobody from the Opposition has gone into the well of the House. We are waiting every morning so that scheduled business can come in. It is the government members and those supporting the government, who disturb the House. This has happened for the last few days and whole country has seen it," he said.
Suspecting government intention to run the House, Jaitley said, "I have a lurking suspicion that the government is unsure of which way the Rajya Sabha will vote and that is why it has no serious intention to allow Rajya Sabha to conduct its business."
Seeking a response from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issue, he said, "We have requested the chairman of the Rajya Sabha to call the Leader of the House that is the PM, asking him to make a candid statement whether the government wants the Rajya Sabha to conduct its business or not. Because you can't have day after day the government disturbing the Parliament."
Jaitley, who is also the Opposition leader in the Upper House, further said, "Rajya Sabha is not functioning due to the government's attitude. Rajya Sabha schedules are prepared and we are ready for discussion as per the schedule. But despite this Rajya Sabha is disrupted due to the government."
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held