Unsure of 'numbers', govt deliberately wrecking proceedings in Rajya Sabha: BJP
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
BJP today accused the government of allowing disruption of the Rajya Sabha proceedings as it is "unsure of its figures" in the House.
"Government is unsure of its figures in the Upper House. Both the government and its allies including those outside supporters are disrupting the House everyday," BJP leader Arun Jaitley told reporters outside Parliament.
Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day today after disruptions over quota in promotion for SC/ST in government.
"No Opposition members are disrupting the House. Nobody from the Opposition has gone into the well of the House. We are waiting every morning so that scheduled business can come in. It is the government members and those supporting the government, who disturb the House. This has happened for the last few days and whole country has seen it," he said.
Suspecting government intention to run the House, Jaitley said, "I have a lurking suspicion that the government is unsure of which way the Rajya Sabha will vote and that is why it has no serious intention to allow Rajya Sabha to conduct its business."
Seeking a response from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issue, he said, "We have requested the chairman of the Rajya Sabha to call the Leader of the House that is the PM, asking him to make a candid statement whether the government wants the Rajya Sabha to conduct its business or not. Because you can't have day after day the government disturbing the Parliament."
Jaitley, who is also the Opposition leader in the Upper House, further said, "Rajya Sabha is not functioning due to the government's attitude. Rajya Sabha schedules are prepared and we are ready for discussion as per the schedule. But despite this Rajya Sabha is disrupted due to the government."
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow