UP ministerís 18-yr-old son dies in accident
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Uttar Pradesh Horticulture and Food Processing Minister Raj Kishore Singh's 18-year-old son Upendra Kumar Singh alias Shubham died when he lost control over the SUV he was driving. The vehicle collided with the parapet of a flyover in Lucknow's Gomti Nagar area on Wednesday morning.
The vehicle, a Tata Safari, which belonged to the minister, was badly smashed in the accident. Upendra, a student of class XII, died on the spot.
The police said the incident occurred due to rash driving. They also suspect Upendra was talking on the cellphone while driving. It is not clear where he was going.
Sub-Inspector Parush Ram Ojha of the Udyan police outpost, who was the first person to reach the spot on getting information from the police control room, said the body was flung out of the vehicle due to the impact.
She sent Brij Kishore Singh, the minister's brother, to bring him back. She also called up Upendra and asked him to come back, but he did not. By the time Brij Kishore reached the spot, it was all over.
As the news of the incident spread, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and several ministers visited Singh's residence to console the family.
None in the family was in a condition to talk about why Upendra left home and where he was going.
He said the SUV, which was being driven at high speed, hit the parapet on both sides of the road several times and an electrical pole as it hurtled down the road before stopping in mangled pieces.
Ojha said that, to begin with, there were two more persons in the vehicle, but Upendra reportedly asked them to get down and took over the steering. A short distance later, the tragedy ocurred. The two men informed the family which, in turn, informed the police control room, said Ojha.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow