UP tops encounter list
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Railgate: BJP protests against CBI DIG for shielding Pawan Bansal
- Spot-Fixing: Sreesanth reveals bookies lured India players with cars, women
- Jagan Reddy case: Accused Andhra ministers Sabitha, Dharmana Rao resign
Of nearly 1,700 complaints of alleged encounters by police received by the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) from across the country since 1993, Uttar Pradesh tops the list with 851 such cases. Bihar comes a distant second with 93.
UP Infant mortality still high
With the national infant mortality rate (IMR) falling down to 44 from 47 deaths per 1,000 live births over the last one year, the situation in Uttar Pradesh has not improved. Madhya Pradesh has the highest IMR of 59/1000 deaths followed by Uttar Pradesh and Odisha with 57/1000.
Goa and Manipur have the lowest IMR of 11 infant deaths followed by Kerala with 12 infant deaths per 1000 live births.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'