US embassy closes early, police step up security
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
As anger in the Muslim world over an anti-Islam film continued to smoulder, the US embassy in the city closed early on Friday to pre-empt any "possible demonstration" outside its premises.
Alerting US citizens on its website, the embassy said: "Due to possible demonstrations today, September 21, US embassy and consulate facilities in India will close early. Before visiting any US facility in India, please check our websites for operating hours."
Sources said the Delhi Police has stepped up vigil around the US mission and more personnel have been deployed to reinforce the security set-up. The Indian government has condemned the movie, Innocence of Muslims, as "offensive" and has blocked it on YouTube.
US citizens have been told to exercise caution and monitor security updates. "US citizens travelling abroad should regularly monitor the US Department of State's, Bureau of Consular Affairs website, where the current worldwide caution, travel warnings, travel alerts and country-specific information can be found," the embassy website stated.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet