US embassy security officer in Yemen killed
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
A masked gunman assassinated a Yemeni security official who worked for the US embassy in a drive-by shooting near his home in the capital Sanaa on Thursday, officials said.
Yemeni officials said the killing bore the hallmarks of an attack by the al-Qaida offshoot in Yemen, but it was too early to determine whether the group was behind it.
The assassination resembles other attacks recently that have targeted Yemeni intelligence, military and security officials. Those attacks are believed to be in retaliation for a military offensive by Yemen's US-backed government against Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which Washington considers the most dangerous offshoot of the global terror network.
AQAP has called for attacks on US embassies in a bid to exploit the anti-American sentiment that has swept the Middle East and other parts of the Muslim world in the past month over an anti-Islam film produced in the United States.
Initially, the film was linked to an attack on the US Consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi on September 11 which left four Americans dead, including US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens. US officials said later the attack was not linked to the video.
AQAP praised the killing of US diplomats in Libya, describing it as "the best example" for those attacking embassies to follow.
Yemeni officials identified the embassy security official as Qassem Aqlani, in his fifties. He was on his way to work when a gunman on a motorcycle opened fire at him and fled the scene. The attack was in western Sanaa, close to Aqlani's home, while the embassy is located in eastern Sanaa.
Aqlani had been working for the US embassy for nearly 20 years, said the officials. Most recently, he was in charge of investigating a September 12 assault on the US embassy by angry Yemeni protesters over the anti-Islam film.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow