US nanny slashes self after stabbing 2 children
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
A nanny is suspected of slaying a Manhattan professional couple's two children as the mother saw the dead bodies in the bathtub in New York on Thursday. After the alleged killing, the nanny slashed her wrists in front of the mother.
Yoselyn Ortega was employed with Kevin and Marina Krim family for two years.
"On Thursday evening around 5.30," Police Commissioner Raymond W Kelly said, "Marina Krim returned to her Upper West Side apartment with her 3-year-old daughter to discover her two other children, a 2-year-old boy and a 6-year-old girl, dead of knife wounds in the bathtub and Ortega slashing herself with the same bloodied kitchen knife used on the children."
Ortega, 50, survived, but the police have been unable to question her as she remains intubated in the hospital with a deep stab wound in her throat. She has not yet been charged.
The authorities remain mystified over the motive. Paul J Browne, the chief police spokesman, said family members had told detectives that Ortega "over the last couple of months was not herself. She was, according to others, seeking some professional help," he said adding, "There were financial concerns."
Ortega, who the police said was a naturalised American citizen from the Dominican Republic, did not come to the Krim family through an agency, which customarily does background checks. A law enforcement official said Ortega had had no previous brushes with the law, nor have detectives learned of any tensions in her relationship with the Krims.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow