US takes Nepali Maoists off terror blacklist
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
In a decision that may give Nepali Maoists greater credence, the US has taken the Unified Communist Party of Nepal-Maoists off the list of terrorist organisations. The decision comes six years after the Maoists joined the peace process.
The US decision is a recognition of the fact that the Maoists have demonstrated credible commitment to pursuing peace and reconciliation in Nepal.
In a statement issued in Washington, the US Department of State announced late Thursday that the Maoists were no more on their terror list. "After a thorough review, the Department has determined that the CPN (M) is no longer engaged in terrorist activity that threatens the security of US nationals or US foreign policy," the State Department said. "With these actions, the CPN (M)'s property and interests in property in the US or within the possession or control of US persons will no longer be blocked," it said. The Maoists had been put on the list in October 2003.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet