Vaghela files nomination
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Senior Congress leader and former Chief Minister Shankersinh Vaghela returned to Kheda district on Friday as he filed his nomination papers for Kapadvanj constituency.
Vaghela was accompanied by sitting Kapadvanj MLA Manibhai Patel, Thasra MLA and chairman of Amul Dairy Ramsinh Parmar, Balasinor MLA Mansinh Chauhan, district Congress chief Bharatsinh Parmar and hundreds of party workers.
"As Bapu (a Vaghela is popularly known) expressed his desire to contest from Kapadvanj, Manibhai Patel and other three contenders, including myself, backed down and assured him of a victory," said Rajesh Zala, Kheda district Youth Congress president.
Vaghela's association with Kapadvanj dates back to 1977 when he had contested in the Lok Sabha polls for the first time as a candidate of the then Bhartiya Lok Dal. He had defeated Natvarsinh Thakor of the Congress by over 60,000 votes.
However, his visit to the district was marred by protests by party workers in Nadiad over denial of ticket to veteran Shankarbhai Vaghela, a five-time MLA.
Supporters of Shankarbhai gathered in front of the bungalow of Kheda MP Dinsha Patel and raised slogans against him. They dispersed after police reached the spot.
Shankarbhai had sought ticket from Mahudha after Chaklasi was wiped out in delimitation process. But the Congress today gave mandate to Natvarsinh Thakor to contest for the sixth consecutive time from there.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow