Did Karkare call Digvijay? Maha govt says no records
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
In an embarrassment to Digvijay Singh, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil today said there was no existence of any record of the purported telephonic conversation between the Congress general secretary and slain anti-terror squad chief Hemant Karkare.
"It is his (Digvijay's) personal opinion. The state police machinery does not have any record of his conversation with Karkare on that fateful day," Patil said while making a suo moto statement under Rule 48 in the Lower House.
Digvijay Singh had said Karkare called him hours before he was gunned down in the 26/11 attacks and said he was under threat from right-wing Hindu groups. Karkare sounded perturbed at being threatened after he framed charges against sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and others in the Malegaon blast case, Digvijay said.
"But Karkare was a victim of a terror attack in Mumbai and was gunned down by the terrorists," Patil said.
Digvijay's revelation of this telephonic conversation last week had created a flutter.
He, however, subsequently clarified that he never doubted the role of Pakistani elements in the Mumbai attacks.
Congress has distanced itself from Digvijay's statement, saying the matter was "a conversation between two individuals".
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held