Gangrape case in Jind: Victim says wrong people held, cops now arrest ‘real accused’
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
In a twist to the Jind woman gangrape case, the victim refused to identify the two accused — arrested on Wednesday — produced in front of her by the police as part of an identification parade on Thursday. However, later in the evening, the Jind police again claimed to have arrested two "real accused" involved in the case.
"Two boys, Billu and Rinku — residents of the same village — have been arrested. Both of them were allegedly involved in the case. The third accused is likely to be arrested soon," Jind SP Sourabh Singh said.
On Wednesday, a Backward Caste woman was allegedly raped by three persons at gunpoint, in front of her two children, at her residence at Badoli village in Pillukhera. The accused also shot the entire episode on their cellphones and circulated the MMS in various parts of the state.
Though the incident took place on September 21 and a complaint was allegedly lodged with the police the same day, till Tuesday, no arrests were made. It was only on Wednesday, when the victim - who belongs to the Khati community - and her husband threatened to immolate themselves in front of the Jind SP's office and informed the media about the same, that the police arrested two persons.
The victim, in her complaint, had alleged that a man named Sandeep and "Mahabir's son", along with their third accomplice (whom she did not know), had raped her. The two persons arrested were Sandeep's father Azad Singh and Mahabir's son Suraj. When the rape victim was taken for the identification parade, she refused to identify both Azad and Suraj.
"Sandeep's father Azad was arrested on charges of harbouring Sandeep. According to our information, Sandeep went back to his home in Jind after committing the rape. We arrested his father because he provided shelter to his son. Mahabir's son Suraj, whom we arrested, was not identified by the victim. Thus, he will have to be released," a senior police officer said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow