Vikrant shocks seventh seed Bhardwaj in menís 1st round
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
It was in the fifth game of the third and final set that Vikrant Dahiya must have sniffed victory against the seventh seed Vijay Bhardwaj in the first round match in the men's singles category in the CLTA AITA Chandigarh Open-1 lakh men and women tennis championship at the CLTA Stadium in Sector 10. In that he managed to break Dahiya and gain the upper hand in the match. He went to repeat the feat in the ninth game that helped him win the set and script a tremendous victory.
Earlier, Bhardwaj had started off well, winning the first set 6-4 with his consistent groundstrokes. But Vikrant made a brilliant comeback into the match and lost just one game to win the second set 6-1. More than brute force, he used variations and indulged Bhardwaj in long rallies to cause the upset. Vikrant carried his form into the third set and dismantled the higher seed to emerge triumphant.
Other than that, there were no other upsets in the men's category as the seeded players cruised ahead into the second round of the maindraw. However, in the women's section, Megha Sherawat managed to beat Sanya Madan, the sixth seed, to cause a major upset. Unlike Vikrant, Megha needed just two sets to down her opponent.
Megha made a brilliant start and annexed the first set 6-3. High on confidence, she pushed for victory in the second set but faced stiff resistance from Sanya. The sixth seed, however, buckled under pressure as Megha raced towards victory by clinching the set 7-5.
Meanwhile, third seed Sayali Bhilare was stretched by local girl Ashima Garg but managed to dispose of her challenge 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, in an exciting first round encounter.
Main draw: 1st round: Men: singles: Chandril Sood bt. Rubal Sandilya 6-2, 6-3; Suraj Desai bt. Ranjeet Singh 6-3, 6-1; Surinder Pal Singh bt. Mandeep Kumar 6-1, 6-3; Sagar Ahuja bt. Harinder Bedi 6-0, 7-5; Sagar Manjana bt. Jagmeet Singh 6-2, 6-4; Murtaza Lohani bt. Vishwanath Savadi 6-3, 6-3; Dhruv Goyal bt. Rohit Sarwate 6-2, 6-1; Siddhesh Khade bt. Kapish Hari 6-0, 6-0; Anubhav Chaudhari bt Shadab Mohammad Khan 6-0, 7-5; Gurvinder Mann bt. Uttam Phogat 6-1, 6-0; Kapil Ghraiya bt. Shrey Gupta 6-2, 6-4; Lakshit Sood bt. Pardeep Deswal 6-2, 6-1; Vikrant Dahiya bt. Vijay Bhardwaj 4-6, 6-1, 6-3; Yuvraj Singh bt. Pranav Suri 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4); Sahil Sachdeva bt. Dipanshu Garg 6-2, 6-1; Brahmjot Singh bt. Rohit Ranglani 6-0, 6-1
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet