Vinayaka Chavithi celebrated across Andhra Pradesh with gaiety
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Vinayaka Chavithi was celebrated with devotion and gaiety across Andhra Pradesh today.
People thronged temples to offer prayers to Lord Ganesh and performed Vinayaka Chavithi Vratham to the idols installed at homes.
Lakhs of Ganesh idols were installed in residential colonies across the state which will be worshipped for nine days.
A huge Vinayaka idol, said to be 58 ft tall, was installed at Khairatabad here with a 'laddu' weighing 3,500 kilograms. It has been the tradition for many years that a tall idol is installed at Khairatabad.
Governor E S L Narasimhan and several political leaders offered prayers to the Khairatabad deity.
With various government agencies and NGOs and media organisations undertaking a massive campaign to use eco-friendly Ganesh idols, the use of clay idols has increased manifold this year.
Ganesh Chaturthi was also celebrated in offices o fruling Congress, main opposition Telugu Desam and other parties.
In Rajahmundhry, over 500 Ganesh idols of various sizes were installed across the city and a large number of devotees were seen queuing up for darshan at the famous Vinayaka Temple at Iyannavelli near here.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’