Vintage car rally dazzles city
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
On Sunday, Hotel Radisson premises displayed all the luxury and grandeur of post-Victorian era for five hours, thanks to the vintage car and bike rally organised by the Vintage and Classic Car Club of India (VCCCI). From Lord Mountbatten's car to Rishi Kapoor's bike in Hindi flick Bobby, all were part of the the Sunday's rally with over 200 people witnessing the event.
"The event was organised to make the younger generation aware of the great history of cars and bikes that we have in our country. The event also highlights the passion and dedication with which these cars have been preserved and maintained," said Nitin Dossa, president, VCCCI.
Yashvardhan Ruia's 1947 royal black Rolls Royce (Silver Wraith) narrated the story of Indian independence.
"This car originally belonged to Lord Mountbatten. After independence, this was used as Pt Jawaharlal Nehru's official vehicle," said Ruia. "There is a saying that vintage car owners' wives are always jealous of their husband's cars. In my case too, it is the same," confessed Ruia.
Minoo Nariman Fitter, 76, from Mumbai drove his 1960 Vespa Piaggo Italy all the way from Mumbai to Pune to take part in the event.
"I have driven the vehicle to various places like Aurangabad, Ooty and Mysore. My car has never given me any problem," said Fitter who doesn't venture into vintage cars as he thinks if he does so it will like betraying his first love, bikes!
The motorcycle ridden by Rishi Kapoor in the cult film Bobby too was present in the rally. "Kapoor family is a great friend of ours. After the movie, they gave it to me. I also have a collection of vintage matchbox cars," said Subhash Sanas who also has a museum of vintage cars in Pune.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow