Violence in Allahabad University campus over free laptop scheme
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Maxwell falls early in stiff run-chase
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
Violence broke out today at the Allahabad University campus with two groups of students hurling crude bombs at each other and indulging in heavy stone-pelting during distribution of forms for a Uttar Pradesh government's scheme for free laptops.
The students fought pitched battles with personnel belonging to police and Rapid Action Force who rushed to the scene and used batons to quell the mob, police said adding that nearly 20 youth and six security personnel received injuries in the incident.
Trouble began around noon when a large number of students, most of them in their first year at the varsity, thronged the counters to obtain forms for availing the scheme introduced by the Samajwadi Party government wherein free laptops are to be distributed among those who have passed their Intermediate examinations.
A quarrel erupted between inmates of two hostels, apparently over a minor issue, and they came to blows even as the varsity officials tried to pacify the agitated youths.
However, violence escalated with some of the students indulging in heavy stone-pelting and a few crude bombs were also lobbed by both sides.
Security personnel have been deployed in strength at the sprawling University premises though no arrests have been made so far.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations