Vital issues on Metro yet to be addressed
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
- FIR filed against Facebook for not discontinuing hate page
According to reports, the Central government has given green signal for Pune Metro and has asked Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) to submit final detailed project report with revised costing after approval from state government. At the outset, we would clarify that we are not against any transport system project (BRT, mono rail, metro). However, we have found from our study that DMRC report for Pune Metro has not addressed several vital issues that are area specific. It appears that the only aspect that DMRC has considered while deciding feasibility of elevated Metro on Vanaz -Ramwadi corridor is whether the metro columns and metro stations can be physically constructed at planned locations. These issues become important as the proposed elevated metro passes through developed areas and highly congested arterial roads of the city where further road widening is not possible and alternative roads for traffic diversion are also not available. This is bound to give rise to several serious problems. We and other groups, including experts, have been raising all such issues with PMC and subsequently with the state government for over three years. However, our demands have been ignored.
We have some straight questions for PMC:
1) As per DMRC report, the starting station for Metro has been planned at Paud Road kachara depot. With 'Shivshrushti' project approved at the depot site and area beyond being hilly with BDP reservation - Where and how will the main Metro station at the starting point be set up?
2) With the congested road from Paud phata to SNDT junction - flyover on one side and 100 metre highrise building coming up on the other leaving no scope for road widening - How will the Metro alignment with pillars on road be achieved in Paud phata junction area from police station to SNDT junction?
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'