VVIP chopper deal: Middlemen should have no role in military contracts, says Russia
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Moreover, Russia is building a fifth-generation aircraft with India, as well as the BrahMos supersonic anti-ship missile.
In addition, the modernisation of the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya is being undertaken by Russia for the Indian Navy.
However, despite a long history of defence ties, new players in the Indian defence arena are offering a competition to Russia.
Russia had lost the bids for supply of multi-role fighter planes, helicopter gunships and heavy-lift helicopters.
"The military cooperation between the two countries is indeed important in our relations. Though new exporters of military equipment appear in Indian market, Russia is still in the leading position," Matvienko said.
She said despite the growing competition, Russia has preserved its leading position.
"And that speaks for the trust in our relations on one hand. On the other hand, that speaks for competitiveness, high quality and good price for Russian equipments...
"We are looking for news forms of cooperation in military and technical fields. We are not selling only the ready-made equipments but we are looking for development of new technology through joint research programme, joint enterprises in order to produce new equipments," she said.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’