W Rly coast to win
Western Railway rolled off on the right track as they comfortably won their opening match defeating Sports Authority of India (SAI) 2-0 inn a Super Division match, of the Mumbai Hockey Association Ltd. (MHAL) League – 2012-13, at the MHAL Stadium, Churchgate on Wednesday. Sachin Kumar and Jaykaran S struck one goal apiece, in either half, for the railwaymen.
The youngsters from the SAI outfit did well to match their senior and experienced opponents and defended stoutly to keep their citadel intact till the final minute of the first half. But, just when it looked like the two sides would adjourn for the lemon break tied goalless, Western finally broke the SAI resistance in the 34th minute. Against the run of play, Sachin Kumar found the target to put Western in front.
After having tasted success, Western showed more urgency in the second session and went all out in search for another goal to consolidate their advantage. Their efforts paid off as they managed to double the lead when Jaykaran scored through another field effort.
The SAI lads hardly seemed disheartened and fought on gamely, but they were unable to create clear goal-scoring opportunities and had to end up on the losing side.
There will be no Super Division match at this venue on Thursday, February 14.
Results – at MHAL ground, Churchgate - Super Div: Western Railway 2 (Sachin Kumar, Jaykaran S) beat SAI 0.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow