We are against honour killing, dress code for women: Khap to SC
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
In an affidavit filed in the apex court, Sarvjatiya Sarv Khap Panchayat submitted that it has never violated law by passing such orders.
It, however, said it has reservation in same gotra (sub-caste) marriage and submitted that Hindu Marriage Act for debarring such marriages.
"The Sarvjatiya Sarv Khap Panchayat strongly condemns the honour killings and fully assures the administration to assist it in bringing the culprits to book. The Sarv Khap Panchayat also condemns the ban or fatwa etc, regarding the use of mobile and jeans etc, by women/girls as the panchayat respects the rights of individuals," the affidavit said.
It said decisions are taken by khap panchayats like out-of court justice like Lok Adalats and they deliver justice to poor and illiterate people who cannot approach courts.
"Most of the people residing in interior parts are poor and illiterate and have no means to approach the court of law and therefore, they seek justice through their respective khap panchayat/sarv khap panchayat/sarv jatiya sarv khap panchayat," it said.
The affidavit was filed in compliance of apex court's order directing various khap panchayats to respond to a PIL seeking its intervention in restraining them in passing diktats against women.
Earlier, the apex court had said khap panchayats' diktat on dress code for women and asking them not to carry mobiles is unlawful.
The PIL was filed by NGO Sahakti Vahini seeking court's direction to the government to take action against khap panchayats for allegedly harassing and killing couples, particularly women in name of family's honour for entering into inter-caste or intra-gotra marriages.
The apex court posted the PIL for final hearing on March 5.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow