Witnesses in Pak blasphemy case turn hostile
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
The three men who had accused a cleric of tampering evidence to implicate young Christian girl Rimsha Masih in a blasphemy case today withdrew their statement, claiming they were tortured by police to testify against the imam.
The three witnesses, who had earlier recorded statements against cleric Khalid Chishti, submitted a fresh statement in the court of a district and sessions judge in Islamabad that said police had forced them to blame Chishti for the incident.
The witnesses claimed police had tortured them and made them give statements against Chishti.
One of the witnesses is Hafiz Mohammad Zubair, who works as the muezzin in the mosque where Chishti is the cleric.
Despite their dramatic turnaround today, the three witnesses had earlier spoken to several TV news channels and accused Chishti of tamepering evidence to implicate Rimsha in a blasphemy case.
They said Chishti had added burnt pages of a religious text to a shopping bag that was in Rimsha's possession.
The district and sessions judge put off the hearing of a bail application filed by Chishti till October 3.
Police had earlier submitted an interim challan or chargesheet that said Chishti had tampered with evidence.
Chishti was earlier remanded to judicial custody.
In a separate development, the Islamabad High Court today extended the stay on the trial of Rimsha on blasphemy charges till October 17.
A single-judge bench of the High Court issued the extension while hearing a petition filed by Rimsha's lawyer for quashing the FIR against her.
During the hearing, a representative for the prosecution told the court that the lawyer was not in Islamabad.
He requested the bench to give the lawyer more time to appear in court.
The judge granted the prosecution's request and extended the stay on the trial.
Chief Justice Iqbal Hameed-ur-Rehman of the Islamabad High Court had stayed the trial of the minor Christian girl on September 28 so that her petition for quashing the FIR against her could be taken up.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’