Woman beaten to death in Bihar for ‘adultery’
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Members of a village panchayat in Purnea, Bihar, allegedly beat up a woman to death recently for committing "adultery". The police have termed the death as occurring under "mysterious circumstances" but said they are questioning the panchayat members.
Tiyarpara panchayat, which held a meeting last week, reportedly found "evidence" that Bibi Shehzadi, 30, had an extra-marital affair. The panchayat allegedly ordered death sentence for her. Shehzadi, mother of three, was allegedly beaten to death in public but no villager of Asiyani, about 340 km from Patna, informed the matter to the police fearing panchayat backlash. Purnea SP Amit Loha, while confirming that the woman was killed in full public view, did not confirm panchayat's involvement.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet