Woman sets herself on fire after ‘gangrape’
Upset over her alleged gangrape by four men, a woman set herself ablaze in Deoria district on Monday evening. The victim, who suffered about 80 per cent burns, is battling for life at the district hospital. The police are still searching for the accused.
Deoria SP L R Kumar said the woman was gangraped on Sunday, but told her family only after setting herself on fire the next evening. The victim's father said his daughter, who had been living with him for the last two years following a marital dispute with her husband, was returning home after visiting a friend in a nearby village on Sunday when Bablu, a resident of the village, forcibly dragged her to his house with the help of his associates Balwant, Gulel and Chhathhu.
He said the accused raped his daughter for over two hours. She returned home in the evening, but didn't tell her parents about the incident.
On Monday evening, the woman bolted her room from inside and set herself on fire. Family members and neighbours broke into the room and doused the flames, but she had suffered extensive burns. She was rushed to the hospital where her condition was stated to be critical. At the hospital, the woman told her father about the gangrape and the police were informed on Tuesday morning.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow