Woman’s husband, in-laws held for abetting suicide
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, seeks SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Railgate: BJP protests against CBI DIG for shielding Pawan Bansal
The arrests were made after the deceased, Ranjana Dayal's parents claimed that she committed suicide because she was being tortured in her marital home. Police said she first drowned her daughter and then herself. Police said on June 14, Ranjana's husband, Kishan, registered a missing person's complaint after she left her house with their daughter, Gayatri. On June 15, they found the bodies of Ranjana and Gayatri behind INS Hamla in Malad west.
The Malwani police registered a case of accidental death. However, Ranjana's parents, who reside in Samta Nagar, claimed on Tuesday that their daughter was being harassed and tortured by her in-laws.
Based on the statement of Ranjana's father and sister, the Charkop police arrested Kishan, father-in-law Lalmohan and brother-in-law Mohan.
Ranjana's father, Parisingh, said after marriage she had been staying in Nepal while her husband stayed in Charkop. Two months ago, Ranjana returned with their daughter to her husband. "Since then Ranjana was being beaten up by Kishan who suspected that she had an affair," he said.
She had called up her sister Shanti, a resident of Delhi, many times to complain about the torture but Shanti consoled her and assured her that things would be all right, the police said.
"On the day of her death, Ranjana told me that Kishan and her in-laws had beaten her up, saying that Gayatri was not his daughter," said Shanti.
On June 15, when Shanti learnt about Ranjana's death, she called up her father and told him about her conversation with Ranjana. On Tuesday, when Shanti came to Mumbai, they registered a case with the Charkop police.
API Anand Murliyar of Charkop police said, "We arrested four people and are conducting further inquiries."
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'