Women not safe in Delhi, says Sheila Dikshit, blames police
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
A day after a man shoved an iron rod into a young girl's throat while trying to rape her, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit trained her guns on police again saying women do not feel safe in the national capital.
"Women don't feel safe in Delhi. There is no feeling of security. What had happened yesterday in Lajpat Nagar is shocking. The incident has raised our worries," Dikshit said commenting about the incident.
In a shocking incident, the 26-year-old man working with a local power distribution company allegedly assaulted the young girl brutally by shoving an iron rod into her mouth when she resisted his attempt to rape her.
Police has arrested the man. The girl has been admitted to a private hospital where her condition was stated to be critical.
Dikshit said her government would do everything possible to address safety concerns of women. A number of steps have already been taken in this regard, she said.
"When we talk about security, we know police is there. But there is no satisfaction about security which should be there," the Chief Minister said.
Dikshit had been critical of functioning of police and even demanded the resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the aftermath of the December 16 gang-rape.
"My government will do everything possible to provide a conducive atmosphere for women in the city," she said.
The Delhi government had last week even sent a letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde accusing the police of "completely deviating" from its core duties and "trivialising" the issue of safety of women.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’