Zadaphia’s party office is Keshubhai infant’s nursery
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- Indian American teen Eesha Khare invents wondrous 20-sec charger, Google eyes bid
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
A day after first BJP chief minister of Gujarat Keshubhai Patel floated his Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP), its leaders are now working furiously to draft its constitution for registration of the party with the Election Commission of India (ECI).
Though there is no obstruction in contesting elections without any formal registration, party office-bearers are busy giving a final shape to the party's constitution that would require to be submitted along with registration papers.
At present, the small office of Gordhan Zadaphia's MahaGujarat Janata Party (MJP) at Paldi is serving as the nursery for this new outfit.
The GPP plans to apply for registration any time after Janmashtami. Merger of the MJP with GPP is imminent, Zadaphia confirmed on Tuesday.
According to ECI officials, a party can demand its own symbol if it plans to contest at least one-tenth of the total number of Assembly seats in the state. As GPP is set to contest all the 182 seats, its leaders say they would seek their own symbol.
GPP sources say the party can also decide to transfer the symbol of MJP which has announced to dissolve and merge itself with GPP. But since GPP leaders did not agree to retain the name of MJP for the new party, sources say they may not opt for MJP symbol of nagara (drum).
Also, MJP will dissolve only after GPP becomes official. "As only four months are left for the Assembly elections, it would not be wise to abolish the existing party without GPP getting its registration confirmed from ECI," say sources.
However, Zadaphia said the decision to dissolve MJP and its merger with GPP was final and unalterable but it would take a few days to complete the formalities.
Zadaphia is considered to be the chief architect of the formation of the broad coalition of Modi-baiters and BJP dissenters by mobilising Keshubhai Patel and others.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled six balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held